Re: Question about log purging

From: Brian Elliott <belliot_at_gil.com.au>
Date: 1997/10/02

In article <34235234.5B1F_at_deere.com>, jh33378nospam_at_deere.com says...
> Look in your init<SID>.ora parameter file for BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST and
> USER_DUMP_DEST. These directories collect files that NEVER go away until
> you delete them. In particular, the alert.log will fill the file system
> and stop the database.
>
> masint_at_istar.ca wrote:
> >
> > In article <3421662A.2AE6_at_netvigator.com>,
> > Morris Wong <morriswg_at_netvigator.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am using Oracle version 7.2.3 for Solaris. A plan of log
> > > purging is needed. Where can i find a complete list of
> > > log file/directory which need to be purged periodically?
> > > Thank you!
> > >
> > > Morris
> > > morriswg_at_netvigator.com
> >
> > First of all, it depends if you are running in ARCHIVELOG mode. If you
> > are not, there is no log purging to be done. If you are, look at the
> > value for LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST in your INIT.ORA and that is where Oracle
> > writes archived redo logs.
> >
> > Michael

> > http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet
>
> --
> John P. Higgins Voice: (309)765-7868
> Deere & Company Fax: (309)765-7800
> John Deere Road Internet: jh33378nospam_at_deere.com
> Moline, IL 61265 Opinions: My Own

Morris,

As well as the others mentioned above, watch the $ORACLE_HOME/network/log directory. listener.log and sqlnet.log could be in there. These too will grow without bound.

Regards,

        Brian.

--
"Strictly UNIX"    To dance is to live.