Re: sqlnet over Internet

From: Ronan Miles <milesr_at_entcf2.agw.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1997/10/02

S S Wan wrote:

> I once asked Oracle support this question and they replied that
> it's impossible across Firewall. They reason is that the listener
> though listens a well known port (1521?), the server process
> so forked listens on some random port number. It is hard to restrict
> traffic by random port number and allowing only 1521 simply doesn't
> work!
>
> If anyone has implemented such solution across firewall, please kindly
> share your experience with us.

I havn't implimented the solution but Oracle sell an add on to SQL Net under the guise of Secure Network Services. In this somewhere is code that will work with certain firewall manufacturers to provide SQL Net through a firewall. Contact your Oracle rep for more details.

Regards,
Ronan Miles

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect my employers