Re: Help with Oracle -- DB2 gateway!

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378nospam_at_deere.com>
Date: 1997/10/02

Sreeni Karpurapu wrote:

> Hello everybody:
> We are having problems with Oracle DB2 gateway! Our Oracle Forms
> application is interfacing with a DB2 database through a Oracle-DB2
> gateway. We are having lot of locking problems(table level locks).

This is not a gateway issue, this is a DB2 'feature'. DB2 locks for reads no matter what the client is. DB2 does not release locks until it receives a commit or rollback.

I found this out the hard way when our DB2 group changed policy and killed any thread holding DB2 locks for 20 minutes.

 Even
> if we do a select though SQL*Plus locks get established and they don't go
> untill we do a COMMIT or ROLLBACK. Some *THREADS* are still persistant on
> the DB2 machine and they have to be removed manually.
> Further we have some not null columns in some of the DB2 tables. And
> when we try to insert data with spaces ' ' into those columns, it would not
> accept spaces! It has to be some other character!
> This really sounds wierd. Are there any parameters to be fixed in the
> Oracle-DB2 gateway?
>
> Could you please give me your opinion/ suggestions on this Oracle-DB2
> gateway behaviour.
>
> Thans-A-Ton
>
> Sreeni
> --
> Sreeni Karpurapu
> Oracle, SAP DBA
> Miracle Software Systems
> Southfield, MI 48034

John P. Higgins      Voice:    (309)765-7868
Deere & Company      Fax:      (309)765-7800
John Deere Road      Internet: jh33378nospam_at_deere.com
Moline, IL 61265     Opinions: My Own