Re: Simple dumb question

From: Vsevolod Afanasjev <afanasjev_at_cse.unsw.edu.au>
Date: 1997/10/02

Is it really going faster? I thought it is just the way for recovery...

Once I conducted the following experiment: created a table with several large CHAR columns and inserted several thousands of rows of data, generating several archived redo log files. It appears to me that the size of these files was approximately the amount of inserted data multiplied by 2.5. I have no idea where this factor came from. Anyway, it appears to be slower than writing directly to datafiles.

Probably, if you do something like DELETE * FROM table, Oracle does not store deleted data in redo logs, so this is faster.