Re: DBA exams

From: Vsevolod Afanasjev <afanasjev_at_cse.unsw.edu.au>
Date: 1997/10/02

There are several ways to get the sample questions: 1. Advanced Oracle Tuning and Administration book which gives 137 questions and answers with explanations. Questions are flawless.

2. www.docsoftware.com You can download sample program or buy the full version. There are approximately 300 questions there, with answers, but no explanation. Questions have numerous flaws. The program looks VERY similar to the actual exam, with exception of "analysis of real database" part which is absent. (And this is bad because this part is very time-consuming). But the program itself looks very similar, in particular, you can answer questions in arbitrary order. The price is US$100 (or $80 during promotions) and they also have MONEY BACK garantee which you will not be able to use (see next paragraph).

3. Just two days ago it was announced that the old exam (which was actually 7.2) will be replaced by a new one (7.3), sometimes in November, still offered through Sylvan Prometric with 4 parts, each with 60 questions, 1.5 hour (and each costing US$125).
This new exam will be available in November. See http://education.oracle.com/certification for more information. You can also download sample test, produced by Self-Test Software (but copyrighted by Oracle). I think that the questions contain numerous flaws.

I ASK EVERYBODY TO CALL/FAX/E-MAIL ORACLE in order to improve the quality of the questions.

The program itself is very poor, it always gives questions in random order (while docsoftware gives choice of random/repeatable order) and there is no way to return to the previous question. The sample contains around 160 questions. For US$400 you can get full version (actually, there will be 4 parts sold separately, each $100).

I also have very serious doubts about the quality of questions offered at the actual exam offered right now. I had a feeling that instead of "chosing the best answer" I was trying to chose "the least wrong answer" among several proposed.