Changing Character Set

From: <mis_at_hou-metro.harris.tx.us>
Date: 1997/10/02

After changing the character set from 'US7ASCII' to 'WE8ISO8859P1', I shutdown the database. Then, I changed the 'NLS_LANG' symbol (VMS) from
'AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII' to 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1' and logged
off then logged back on. When I attempted to startup the database, I encountered ORA-01012 and ORA-01032 messages and the database would not mount and open. I changed the logical back to 'US7ASCII' and the problem was resolved.

My question: While the value in sys.props$ has been changed to
'WE8ISO8859P1', the sys.V_$NLS_VALID_VALUES table still has a value of
'US7ASCII'. Is this a problem? Should this be changed or can another
row be added for 'WE8ISO8859P1'? What method should be used to update this table?