Re: Tablespace placement with RAID technology.

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_acay.com.au>
Date: 1997/10/01

WHD wrote:

> What would be the best method of placing my tablespaces in a RAID
> environment.

Many options here.

> Do I put Indexes on one RAID set and all other tablespaces in another
> RAID set ?

No. Use the same considerations on allocating RAID sets as if they were individual disks. Don't do stupid things like creating two RAID sets accross the same disks and then put high activity tablespaces on them. Use common sense and logic. It's easy.

> Do I put indexes and data tablespaces on their own RAID set and system,
> temporary and rollback on single disks ?

Good idea. Note that the highest activity data files in an ORACLE database can easily be the redo logs. They get written to proportionally to the number of inserts, deletes and updates you may get in ALL tablespaces. Therefore, in a volatile database (by that I mean where lots of insert/delete/update/drop/create), use strip sets and maximum isolation of devices.

It's also a good idea to put rollback tablespaces and TEMP tablespaces in their individual strip sets, although not as critical as redo logs.

Depending on the number of RAID "devices" you end up with, pay attention to things like number of db writers.

> Cost is not an object.

Lucky devil. ;-)

--
Nuno Souto