Re: Seeking Perl/SQL information

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1997/10/01

In article <Roberts_Daniel_G.PriLVMS3-2509970822260001_at_140.176.4.142>, Dan Roberts <Roberts_Daniel_G.PriLVMS3_at_MSMAIL.BMS.COM> wrote:
>Hi..Does anyone have any authoritative information on using PERL to
>communicate with Oralce tables?? We are developing web front ends to
>Oracle...most of them work in PERL now..and I would like to change things
>around and direct input into oracle tables instead of the flat files that
>PERL is now loading.>

This is my one of my areas of interest.

First, look at the DBI home pages.

http://www.hermetica/technologia/DBI/

Specifically, look as DBI/DBD::Oracle and Oraperl.pm (oraperl emulation) interfaces.

Both DBI and DBD::Oracle are available from CPAN. See http://www.perl.com/

I noticed the MSMAIL in your emall addr - DBD::Oracle is now available for NT and well as a very large set of unixen.

Go faster stripes

Also if you are using or can consider using Apache look at http://perl.apache.org/

If the above does not meet your requirements CGI::Miniserver may be of use.

Oracle Webserver

Another route is use of the Perl cartridge in OWS3.0 but problems exist with this cartridge. Also, unlike the Java/C/PLSQL carts no perl API is available to use cached oracle connections.

So, to allow commit/rollback across multiple web pages you have two (perl) choices CGI::Miniserver or mod_perl. Both have pro's and con's.
Another option FastCGI may or may not be a feasable solution depending upon requirements.

<PLUG>
You can now also obtain commercial support for perl and the DBI/DBD::Oracle software. See http://www.perl.co.uk/tpc/ for more information.
FYI: Tim Bunce (Mr DBI/DBO::Oracle/DBD::ODBC/current perl maintking) heads this (our) service.
</PLUG>

Hope this helps,

        Jacqui Caren

--
Jacqui Caren                    Email: Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
Paul Ingram Group               Fax: +44 1483 419 419