Re: ORACLE_SID variable on NT 4.0

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/09/30

Haresh Assumal <assumal_at_sprynet.com> wrote in article <01bccd22$815450e0$fab1aacc_at_mycomp.intermediainc.com>...
> I have created a new database on a new Instance (SID). I am running
 Oracle
> 8 on NT 4.0. When some of the utilties like sqlplus is run, how does it
> know what SID to run? I was told that there is a system variable called
> ORACLE_SID and if I want to run a ultility on another instance I set this
> variable before running the utlitity. However, I cannot see any system
> varaibale defined on my machine ORACLE_SID, what do I need to do? If
 there
> is not ORACLE_SID defined what does oracle default to?

The default is ORCL I think. To set the SID, goto to Control Panel, click on the System applet and select the Environment Settings tab. In there you can create new variables, or change existing ones.

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Sep 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT