Re: ORA-06108 Host connection failed

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/09/30

lfedphk_at_mail.hkstar.com wrote in article <342DCF5F.18DE_at_mail.hkstar.com>...
> I got a problem ORA-06108 from NETTEST of client side workstation. My
> client workstation runs with Windows 3.1 and Reflection 5.0 for TCP.
> The Oracle 7.1 database and LISTENER are started on host HP9000. I would
> like to know how to solve the above problem by taking this opportunity.

06108, 00000, "NETTCP: connect to host failed"

// *Cause:  Connection attempt to remote host has failed. Probably means
//          that the SQL*Net TCP/IP server on the remote host is not up,
//          or the host itself is not up (check the latter by targeting
//          it with Telnet).
// *Action: Start the SQL*Net TCP/IP server process on the remote host.

Check the TNSNAMES.ORA file and see what servername (host) is used. The name will be either a hostname (e.g. ORASERVER1) or an IP address (e.g. 129.214.206.98). Check if the PC can see the server using the PING command with the name/ip address of the server as parameter. If this works, then TCP/IP is working correctly. If it doesn't, it may be one of many things, e.g. PC and server are using different class IP addresses, the PC needs to route its IP thru a router in order to reach the server, the client TCP/IP is not installed correctly, the hostname of the server can not be resolved, etc. etc.

Make sure that the listener is running correctly on the server - use the command 'lsnrctl status' to check.

Check now the SQL*Net connectivity between the client PC and server's listener - use the command TNSPING on the PC.

And if you get all the above working, you will have a connection. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Sep 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT