Re: 300 users on NT Intel?

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1997/09/30

In article comp.databases.oracle.server:<01bcc723$d8fa5b00$b1040059@  billyv.vslabs.co.za>, "Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> writes:
>Franois Par <Francois.Pare_at_sit.ulaval.ca> wrote in article
><3422C0F3.5985908E_at_sit.ulaval.ca>...
>> We are currently running small production administrative applications
>> (60 concurrent users) on SUN Solaris and we're going to add more users
>> in a couple of months to reach about 300 concurrent users. We are
>> presently considering a move from Solaris to NT and I want to know if
>> Windows NT on an Intel server can satisfy such a workload. The server I
>> think about is something like a Compaq Proliant 7000 with a couple of
>> gigabytes RAM, 2 to 4 Pentium PRO 200Mhz and about 16 Wide-ultra SCSI
>> disks connected by 2 two-channnel RAID controllers.
>
>I have a single concerns about running NT for a corporate-type db server -
>scalability. If you need more horsepower then what? I know there's new
>Intel servers that can run with more than 4 processors. I also know that
>there's very mature RISC-based hardware (MIPS,SUN etc.) that can scale up
>to 16 and more CPU's (SMP and MPP). And if I get to pick, I will go for the
>established hardware.
>
>Don't get me wrong, NT is a great operating system and IMHO ideally suited
>for departmental-type systems. However, when it comes to corporate servers
>I have my doubts. Wolf pack (NT clusters) is new. Running distributed
>transaction managers on NT are new. And until this technology from
>Microsoft has matured, I rather stick to what I know works.
>
>My 2c's... :-)
>
>regards,
>Billy

Also on the scalability front look at the PDB offerings from oracle/sun/etc. The scalability/uptime for such systems is impressive. The ability to rip disks/cpus/memory and power supplies out of a running oracle database is very convincing.

Of course, for 200 (normal) users this is massive overkill, but then I know of companies who for a very small number of 'users' require this sort of horsepower.

So, YMMV applies. :-)

--
Jacqui Caren                    Email: Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
Paul Ingram Group               Fax: +44 1483 419 419