Please Help with an *Advanced* question. Thanks.

From: NNOOR <Nnoor_at_cris.com>
Date: 1997/09/30

The time has come for our project to move forward and have us developers coexist with the users. That means that the database and schema will be used by the users and we can't "play" with it anymore. But devlopment requirements are otherwise. We have to have a "play" version of the same schema. We are stuck with hardcoding the schema name in the application (e.g. we don't say Select * from aTable, rather select * from schema.aTable, etc etc). Since we can't have the same schema name twice in a database, what we gotta have is another database (an instance?) for developers only and leave the
"live" data alone. The problem is that I don't have a clue as to how
to implement a brand new database (an instance) and have it running on the same NT server (along with the "live" oracle DB server). Do I have to install Oracle a 2nd time in a new directory, if so, will it's
"services" happily co-exist with the other (live) instance? Or what?
Please pardon my ignorance. I know I am asking for a lot of information here, but I will appreciate even the direction towards the right set of documentation.

Thank yo uall for all your help!!!

Regards,
Nasir (nnoor_at_cris.com) Received on Tue Sep 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT