Transactions and Locking

From: Richard Perks <richard.perks_at_parceline.co.uk>
Date: 1997/09/30

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Oracle7 and we are in the process of converting an application to client/server using oracle. Can anyone explain to me in detail how row level record locking works in Oracle ?

I have seen the FOR UPDATE clause of a SELECT statement but I'm not sure how locking is implemented where a user has say a customer window open with a lock applied to the customer table and another window open with a lock applied to an orders table. Can this type of modeless transaction be performed, and if so, what about commiting and rolling back the separate transactions or can only one transaction be active at any one point in time ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

Regards,

Richard Perks Received on Tue Sep 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT