Re: Why can we not delete columns in tables?

From: Martin Haltmayer <Martin_Haltmayer_at_KirchGruppe.de>
Date: 1997/09/30

Tim Eyres wrote:

> Does anybody know the justification for not being able to delete columns
> from tables when using Oracle? Is there a genuine relational database
> principle behind it or is it just an Oracle failing?
>
> Tim

I can imagine a few good reasons:
1. It is not allowed in ANSI-SQL.
2. If you drop a column, you have to invalidate all the checks, constraints, indexes, triggers, views, procedures and functions that use that column. That's a lot more work to do than just dropping these objects when a table is dropped.
3. As another Oraclist mentioned, it would be a very time consuming procedure that may lock the data dictionary unintentionally for a very long time. You may just estimate the amount of time doing an update on that column to null.

--
Martin Haltmayer