Redundant/failure-tolerant Oracle setup

From: Anthony Talltree <aad_at_nwnet.net>
Date: 1997/09/30

We're looking at setting up a mid-sized database, and would like to do so with redundant machines to maximize uptime and tolerance to component failures. I'd been thinking of a pair of Sun E450's for the task, but it looks like Sun & Oracle advocate the use of Sun's PDB product, which requires either Ultra Enterprise 2 or x000 boxes, and looks both very complex and very expensive. On top of that, I'm not sure that it's fault-tolerant.

Another idea is to connect both machines to a dual-ported RAID5 box of some flavor with some sort of locking between the hosts, and a third idea is to just go with something like a single E3000 and rely on its ability to do hot-swaps of CPU's, power supplies, and disks.

Comments? Received on Tue Sep 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT