Adding Database or ... Challenge

From: David Parry <dparry_at_nu-pharm.com>
Date: 1997/09/30

Sorry for being so long and drawn out!

Specs:
Oracle 7.3.3
SCO Unix

I have been attempting to add an additional database for about a month to no avail. I am a new to Oracle and so far having a Hell of a time with it. I need help to add another database to my server, a separate area to do testing. If a database is not the best way, then I need to know how to add another SID or Instance. I don't care as long as it is isolated from the live database and running on the same server. If anyone has the information I am looking for please send it to me, the more e-mail the better.

Below is as far as I have gotten:

  1. Tried to create it manually with the Create Database command Result: ora-01501
  2. I have edited the 2 files used to create my initial database (crdbSID.sql crdb2SID.sql) Result: ora-01501 error code.

There must be another *.ora file I need to modify it looks like the config.ora file, there is a section in there that states:

DB_NAME DATABASE_NAME(current database)

Can I add another Database name and to the config.ora file to create another database? Do I need to create another config.ora file and specify it else where?

I don't want to overwrite my current database just add a separate database.

Please Help, More Responses The Better.
Thanks
dparry_at_nu-pharm.com Received on Tue Sep 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT