Re: Optimizing Oracle

From: Sheilah Scheurich <scheuric__at__sprynet_.com>
Date: 1997/09/29

ecatz wrote:

> My Oracle server has been running for quite awhile now, it seems to be
> slowing down. I was wondering is there any tools that I can use to tweak the
> NT server or Oracle server so that I can optimize it?
>
> Thanks !Look at the dictionary cache hit ratio- (the number of physical reads vs
logical reads). If it is lower than 90%, then increase the number of db_block_buffers. Keep in mind, this will increase (by a factor of n(the block buffers) * database block size). Also look to see if you have had any checkpoint not complete errors in your alert.log file. If so, you need to resize your redo logs. Where are the placement of your files? Are they on separate controllers? Separate disks (REDO,INDEXES,DATA) should all be on separate disks.

As for tools, there are several on the market, however I prefer to do it myself.

-Sheilah Scheurich
DBA
to respond via email - remove the underscores in my address. Received on Mon Sep 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT