Re: Sql*Net & OpenVMS

From: Douglas Scott <Douglas.S.Scott_at_boeing.com>
Date: 1997/09/29

Leng Kaing wrote:

> Douglas Scott wrote:
> >
> > D.A. Hopkins wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > <01bcc9e7$f8956560$0cdb74a6_at_pc88511209.tex.emn.com>,
> > > We have Oracle73 on VMS 7. Both listener and client
> > > connection processes have a name starting ORA_TNS.
> > > By observation, the listener process name seems always to
> > > start with ORA_TNS1 whilst the sqlplus process names start
> > > with ORA_TNS2 although I can't find any references to this.
> > >
> > > David Hopkins
> >
> > Thanks, that's what was confusing me. I have a VAX running 6.2 with a
> > 7.1.5 database and the listener process wasTNSLSNR_sid, but all I had
> > running on the VAX with 7.0 and the 7.3 database was a process starting
> > with ORA_TNS. I'm having a problem getting Sql*Net working on the VAX
> > with the 7.3 database from the client I get errors saying it can't start
> > a process and from the server I get errors saying it can't resolve the
> > name, but all my ORA files are working on the other VAX.
> > --

> It's been a long time since I touched VMS, but I do remember that the
> names of your sql*net client processes are configured through one of the
> Oracle files. You could basically get it to display any name you liked.
> eg. TNS_VAX1_PROD. As for why it works on the VAX and not the Alpha, I'm
> not so sure. Have you transferred all the files across?
>
> Leng.

I just relink Netconfig and I've eliminated 1 error message. Now all I get is the error: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process from both the client and the server (doing a loopback test). I saw a post somewhere that said Sql*Net on a VAX required the VMS Mailbox adapter, but I don't know where this is suppose to be. Can anyone tell me where to find this adapter software? My System Manager monitored the process and dicovered that another listener process starts but then dies before the connection is completed. Any help would be appreciated.

--

Douglas Scott
Douglas.S.Scott_at_boeing.com