oracle datamart - partioned views

From: <dgray_at_bdsinc.com>
Date: 1997/09/29

  Have a datamart (star scema) about 4M rows in the fact. Performance   sucked, so I broke it into 8 tables and partioned viewed. they SUCK!

  I turned the ora.init parameter on.
  I constraied each table on the first part of the prim key. (time).   I created a union all view.
  Oracle 7.3 HP 1 GB ram and 2 processors

  I then ran a query and - no matter the where clause it will hit every   table. Even if I say where time_key = 3. No matter what. If the   elimination of tables dosen't work then the benefits of severly minimined.
  True this will allow me to scan the table quicker (8x). But i need more!

  I'm running redbrick on the same box - ported the datamart over in 2   hours. Redbrick kicks the crap out of oracle. Maybe oracle is not ready
  for warehousing! - I'm going to oracle 8 soon any body know if oracle 8 is
  any better.

  I'm about to put oracle back in the box and burn it.

  I appreciate comments from anyone who has had partion view work to   eliminate tables! or actually built a 'REAL' datamart in oracle and had   oracles star execution path kick in w/o hints and had it return a result   set in a reasonable time frame (< 15 secs).

  Thanks for any comments / knowledge!
* please e-mail me with any info,

  Dave.
  dgray_at_bdsinc.com