ORA 1578 error, any suggestions?

From: Jason Berryhill <jasonb_at_stormnet.com>
Date: 1997/09/27

ORACLEites:

We had an ORA 1578 error which is a bad block error. We run SAP on top of our 7.3.2.x Oracle instance. We were running a client copy and forgot to turn archivemode to off. We believe that what happend is that a write error occurred at some point in the client copy process and that when Oracle's PMON process tried to fix it by copying the block from the redo logs, that the redo log necessary was already written to the archive filesystem or even moved to tape (which was done by us during the client copy process).

The other possibility is that this error was caused by an action that filled our redo logs (client copy again) and we only need to run the client copy when not in Archivelog mode.

Any suggestions on which it really is?

We are attempting to fix this by rolling back to before the client copy process and then trying it again with archivemode turned off. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of problem before? If so, any information would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. While we have a strategy in place, any 'sanity check' you might want
to provide for us would also be helpful

Jason Berryhill

=Web Site: http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~speck =
=email: speck_at_ecst.csuchico.edu =