Re: Local Connection WITHOUT SQL net, possible?

From: Brett Neumeier <neumebm_at_hpd.abbott.com>
Date: 1997/09/26

Paul Mahler wrote:

> I am running NT 4.0 with Oracle 7.3.
>
> I am running my application on the server.
> The documentation makes clear how to connect via SQL net. Is it possible
>
> to make a direct connection from the application running on the server
> to the instance of Oracle running on the server WITHOUT using
> SQL*NET???

Yes indeed. That's what the two-task driver is all about. Oftentimes if you simply omit the connect string when connecting to oracle -- e.g. "connect username/password" rather than "connect username/password_at_sid" -- it will use the two-task driver. If you don't have the ORACLE_SID key set in the NT registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Oracle, you'll have to specify the two-task driver explicitly in the connect string: "connect username/password_at_2:sid".

You can tell that it's not using SQL*Net if you first stop all of the listener services using control panel or the command line utility lsnrctl. (The listener service is the one named something like "TNSListener".)

HTH -bn Received on Fri Sep 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT