Re: Problems with creating new database

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/09/26

When you created the new database, did you use a different block size than the default (still 2K !) ? If you did (say you used 4K or more), than ORACLE could not create the additional, non-SYSTEM rollback segment (I believe it's called RB_TEMP or RB_TMP) because it uses the DEFAULT STORAGE parameters of the SYSTEM tablespace (INITIAL 10K NEXT 10K...). Since a database object may be created only if it has at least 3 ORACLE blocks, 10K for INITIAL extent will not cut it when the block size is 4K or more. Therefore, there are no rollback segments other than the SYSTEM one, hence the error. Check the build_db.sql and buildall.sql scripts. Also look for a build_db.log file.

The moral of this story is that you have to create at least one more rollback segment.

Hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu