Re: Changing ownership of Oracle database installation

From: terryg8 <trg_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/09/25

speed_at_racer.cartoon.spam.address wrote:

> ### "Terry" == terryg8 <trg_at_ibm.net> writes:
>
> Terry> We run several database all owned by oracle, as
> Terry> is the norm. Just curious, what problems are
> Terry> you having with multiple instances using the
> Terry> same oracle login? Perhaps there is a simple
> Terry> way to alleviate the problems.
> Terry>
>
> It's not a problem so much as it is a security/privacy/access issue. If
> multiple groups are using the same login for DBMS admin, this gives them
> access to *all* databases using this login.
>
> Segregating the database installations (not instances) by ownership
> should allow autonomous administration of each installation.
>
> We've managed to do this with a few of the newer installs (use an ID
> other than oracle, that is). I'm looking to retro-fit this practice on
> some of the older configurations currently owned by the oracle login.
>
> I suppose making local oracle logins for each machine with distinct
> passwords would do the trick but it's not as clear, to me anyway.
>
> Peace.

As I understand it you don't have to be Oracle to handle most functions, just part of the dba group. I believe you could keep the oracle userid password secure and just have admin personnel for each machine belong to the dba group. They could then perform server manager type stuff etc for only their own machine.
Hope this helps, and that it's correct.
Cheers,
Terry Received on Thu Sep 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT