Re: sys tables missing

From: Michael Abbey <masint_at_istar.ca>
Date: 1997/09/25

Kim Wykoff wrote:

> The oracle documentation says that whenever you create a database, the
> system tablespace is created, creates the data dictionary, and the users
> sys and system are created.
>
> So far I haven't seen this happen. Whenever I create a database, I
> can't see any tables (it says they don't exist). I know it is holding
> the information somewhere, at least about the users because when I try
> to add a user, I can connect as that user.
>
> I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have a feeling that the tables are
> there, I just can't see them.
>
> thanks,
>
> kim

After creating a database, you need to run catalog.sql and catproc.sql at the minimum to set up the views you cannot find. They reside in the rdbms/admin directory and need to be run connected as the SYS user.

If you are running Oracle8, it may be more complicated. If so, let me know, and I will point you in the right direction.

Michael

+ Michael Abbey    Author of 5 works in the
+ Ottawa Canada Oracle Press Series