PL/SQL development tools

From: Borivoj Tydlitat <btydlitat_at_merlin.cz>
Date: 1997/09/24

Please, has anybody a positive experience with development tools for server-side PL/SQL code?

We are working on a large project implemented in PL/SQL packages. We use Platinum SQLStation Coder v. 2.0.1, that seems to be a very unstable product, crashing all the time. We were not able to use its debugger at all except the most trivial test examples. But it is the only tool that shows us PL/SQL compilation errors. We use it, but we had to give up debugger and use for debugging our own tracing package only.

Recently I found out, that Microsoft Developer Studio (Enterprise Edition v.4.2) also supports SQL - PL/SQL development, but I could not find any ODBC driver, that would really work with Oracle. MS supplied Visigenic drivers have a very limited functionality with Oracle (e.g. know nothing about packages or compilation errors, init takes terribly long), as they seem to be designed for MS SQL Server, and Oracle supplied drivers including the latest one (v.2.0.3.1.1) simply crash the MS tool.

Thanks for any comment.

Borivoj Tydlitat
Merlin, s.r.o.
Praha, Czech Republic
mailto:btydlitat_at_merlin.cz Received on Wed Sep 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT