TO_NUMBER and NUMBER(n,m)

From: jboes_at_qtm.net <(jboes_at_qtm.net)>
Date: 1997/09/24

I'm almost embarassed to ask this, but hey, I'm a C programmer, not a COBOL programmer.

A new database includes NUMBER(7,1) and other such fields. I'm writing Pro*C code to insert values, which are coming from a mainframe and look like this:

'0000731' -> representing 73.1

I've been trying things like

... TO_NUMBER(:myValue, 'FM099999V9')

... 'FM999999.9'
... 'FM09999999'

etc., etc. In short, various combinations of 'V', '.', leading zeroes, 7-digits, 6-digits. I've dug through the documentation and just plain don't get it. Can anyone offer some quick help as to how this is done? Received on Wed Sep 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT