Re: Listener Startup Problem - Oracle 7.3.2.2 on Unixware 2.1

From: Kirti Deshpande <kirtid658_at_gte.net>
Date: 1997/09/24

Jonathan Joseph wrote:

> CONFIGURATION: Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3.2.2 on Unixware 2.1
>
> PROBLEM: I get the following errors when rebooting my
> Unixware 2.1 machine, which starts up the Oracle Workgroup Server
> and its all its related processes:
>
> Tns error Struct:
> nr error code: 12203
> TNS-12203: TNS: unable to connect to destination
> ns main err code: 12541
> TNS-12541:TNS: no listener
> no secondary err code: 12560
> nt main err code:511
> TNS-00511: No listener
> nt secondary err code: 146
> nt OS err code: 0
>
> NOTE 1:
> -------
> I noticed that /etc/rc2.d/S84tcplsnr references
> the /home/oracle7/network/install/tcppa directory
> in the starup shell script. But this directory
> does NOT exist. The tcppa subdirectory exists under
> the /home/oracle7/network/install directory.
>
> I tried changing /home/oracle7/network/tcppa (in /etc/S84tcplsnr)
> to /home/oracle7/network/install/tcppa, but I
> still get the same error message.
>
> NOTE 2:
> -------
> When I execute su -c "/home/oracle7/bin/lsnrctl start tcp_listener"
> after startup, the listener seems to start up and STAY UP. The
> listener process shows up via a 'ps -ef|grep tns' command as:
>
> /home/oracle7/bin/tnslsnr tcp.listener -inherit
>
> This causes the listener related error messages , described above
> to STOP being displayed. (ie., I manually started up the listener)
>
> MY THOUGHTS:
> ------------
> I see 2 problems: 1) the reference in startup file /etc/rc2.d/S84tnslsnr
> to a non-existent directory (namely /home/oracle/network/tcppa)
> and 2) a possible race condition, where the listener needs to
> be started up at a later stage in the boot process.
>
> Any ideas what's causing this error message ?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jonathan Joseph
> jon.joseph_at_jbjnet.com
> jjoseph_at_voicenet.com
>
> 215-387-9401 x245 (daytime phone until Sept. 30th)
> 610-873-2290 (evening phone and fax)

I believe you are correct in your thought #2 above. Make sure the S84tnslsnr process is started after all the TCP/IP and networking processes.
OR start tnslsnr process from /etc/inittab(if your system has it) as the last process. This has always worked for me. Good Luck.

--
Kirti Deshpande
GTE, DFW Airport