Re: Hash indexes

From: Kevin Loney <kevin.loney_at_astramerck.com>
Date: 1997/09/24

Mark Webb" <mwebb_at_cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote in article <EGwLH6.Iv4_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>...
> Oracle newbie question: Using Ingres I could choose to
> use a hash index to get the fastest inserts and exact
> match index finds. What should I be doing in Oracle
> please?

The corrolary in Oracle is a hash cluster. See the CREATE CLUSTER command and
specify the hash key column. It's only effective for exact matches - for range scans you're
better off using normal Btree indexes.

Kevin. Received on Wed Sep 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT