Re: 300 users on NT Intel?

From: Ian Sparkes <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: 1997/09/24

 It entirely depends on the usage patterns of your application. Typically the limiting factor on Intel NT machines is not CPU, Memory or I/O as these items are fixable by planning an appropriate configuration, the problems come in the serious limitation in the bandwidth of the system bus. This controls the rate which data can be moved between memory on the CPU and compared to a Solaris system it is a very low value. I believe on a 200MHz Pentium Pro the system bus runs at 66MHz.

A symptom of this would be a well tuned system with is running a bunch of reports/screens with little or no I/O occurring. On a UNIX system (not Intel based) at this point you would typically see the CPU maxed out for a short period (or long period in some cases). On an Intel machine the CPU utilization would (in this case) be much lower as the are times when it just can't get data fast enough.

François Paré wrote in article <3422C0F3.5985908E_at_sit.ulaval.ca>...