Re: Database shutdown on NT

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/09/24

In article <605ssa$1gt$1_at_was.hooked.net>, "Nathan D. Hughes" <nhughes_at_well.com> writes
>Stopping the OracleSIDService automatically performs a graceful (normal)
>shutdown of the db. (Rather than dropping it right on its arse, as in Oracle7).
RE: Oracle 8.0.3 on NT4.
I spoke to support today, they said that shutting down NT absolutely does not shutdown down oracle. It issues kill_process() which is worse than shutdown abort.
Steve
P.S
There is a case whereby both are right: if shutting down NT does not automatically stop all services (which I would find most odd), then stopping NT does not shut down the database, but stopping the service would have done.
Support did mention that a certain registry value can be set to alter the behavoir of the service, can't recall what it was now though. I mentioned orasafe and that is totally unsupported. Long live Unix.

--
"What we have here is a failure to communicate..."