Re: Permissions

From: Ed Bradt <ebradt_at_lilly.com>
Date: 1997/09/23

Greg Westendorf wrote:

> Okay,
> I have an schema owner OWNERA who has created the tables. I want to grant
> insert, select, delete, and update to USERA. Now the problem, I need to
> be able to select, insert, etc without using a fully qualified select
> statement like "select * from OWNERA.table1" instead it needs to be 'select
> * from table1'. I've tried granting the priveleges to a role and then the
> role to the user. I've tried creating synonyms but the result is that I
> will have duplicate tables, like USERA.table1 and OWNERA.table1 which our
> apps hate. I'm sure this has to be a common problem and I'm over looking
> th obvious. Any ideas?
> westendorf_at_NOSPAMcp-consulting.com
> --
> remove nospam from address before responding

Creating synonyms does NOT result in duplicate tables. Once you've granted select, insert, update, delete to userA (as ownerA) then either userA from their account should 'create synonym table1 for ownerA.table1' only problem here is if you have userB,C,D,E,F... then you ought to create public synonym table1 for ownerA.table1. Ed Bradt Received on Tue Sep 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT