Re: Database Sizing

From: Dan Clamage <clamage_at_mime.dw.lucent.com>
Date: 1997/09/23

See "Administrator's Guide", Managing Schema Objects, for how to estimate storage requirements.
In general, for VARCHAR2 and NUMBER datatypes the actual storage used depends on the actual values stored (i.e., strings may be shorter than maximum defined length). Numbers are stored as packed decimal (ceil(length/2) + 1); plus there is some row overhead.

I've attached two files to help you estimate:

  1. average row size (tfsrowsz.sql) and
  2. estimated storage space for #rows (tfsclcsz.sql).
    • Dan Clamage dclamage_at_idcomm.com

Willy Chua <willy_at_dfi.com> wrote in article <3426edeb.426973082_at_client1.news.psi.net>...
> I wanted to know where I can find the actual data storage being used
> by ORACLE (7.x) datatypes and other storage considerations.

begin 600 tfsrowsz.sql
<encoded_portion_removed>
end

begin 600 tfsclcsz.sql
<encoded_portion_removed>
end Received on Tue Sep 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT