Oracle7 Server & Solaris 2.5.1 Installation Woes

From: todd <todd_at_livingston.com>
Date: 1997/09/22

Greetings,

I've been trying to get Oracle7 installed onto my patched Solaris 2.5.1 Sparc
(Ultra) but with no success.

I'm using the 60 day trial CD and running './orainst /m' as the user 'oracle' in
group 'dba' and 'umask 022' is set. Each time I try to install any/or all of the stuff
from the CD, I keep getting:

"platform_common.ins(233): PERMISSION_DENIED while making directory /var/local/oracle/ocommon"

(there is no 'ignore' button available, so I can't ignore, and 'process'
just spits the
message out again and takes me back to the 'Install' menu)

What I've noticed, is that it has indeed successfully created 'ocommon' so that error message is bogus (unless it's trying to create it more than once, which means it'll fail). This is what it actually creates:

drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 512 Sep 19 15:38 ocommon

which looks fine to me, so I don't see why it dies after actually creating the directory!?
(Note that there is some minimal stuff in the /var/local/oracle
directory after I bail out
including 'ocommon', but just nothing of any real use)

I've tried installing from the CD and also from a staging area, but still no joy.
Am I missing something, or is this a bug? Is there another workaround that I can try
(like manually copying stuff in somehow)? It sure feels like I'm on
'trial' rather than
the software :(

Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses.

Todd

--
todd_at_livingston.com