Re: 300 users on NT Intel?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/09/22

François Paré <Francois.Pare_at_sit.ulaval.ca> wrote in article <3422C0F3.5985908E_at_sit.ulaval.ca>...
> We are currently running small production administrative applications
> (60 concurrent users) on SUN Solaris and we're going to add more users
> in a couple of months to reach about 300 concurrent users. We are
> presently considering a move from Solaris to NT and I want to know if
> Windows NT on an Intel server can satisfy such a workload. The server I
> think about is something like a Compaq Proliant 7000 with a couple of
> gigabytes RAM, 2 to 4 Pentium PRO 200Mhz and about 16 Wide-ultra SCSI
> disks connected by 2 two-channnel RAID controllers.

I have a single concerns about running NT for a corporate-type db server - scalability. If you need more horsepower then what? I know there's new Intel servers that can run with more than 4 processors. I also know that there's very mature RISC-based hardware (MIPS,SUN etc.) that can scale up to 16 and more CPU's (SMP and MPP). And if I get to pick, I will go for the established hardware.

Don't get me wrong, NT is a great operating system and IMHO ideally suited for departmental-type systems. However, when it comes to corporate servers I have my doubts. Wolf pack (NT clusters) is new. Running distributed transaction managers on NT are new. And until this technology from Microsoft has matured, I rather stick to what I know works.

My 2c's... :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Sep 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT