Re: Moving Oracle data files to a different hard disk

From: Heggelund <d92hegge_at_hfk.mil.no>
Date: 1997/09/22

--

1: shutdown normal
2: Move datafiles (not redologfiles) to new location.
3: If you move controlfiles: change init.ora parameter control_files.
4: startup mount
5: alter database rename file 'old_file_1','old_file_2' ... to
   'new_file_1','new_file_2'....;  (old_file and new file must be complete
   paths)
6: alter database open;
7: if you want to move the redologs: alter database add logfile 'new logfile';
   and then alter database drop logfile 'old logfile'; if the database
   complains about the logfile beeing active, issue alter system switch logfile;
   and try the drop again.

Rgds
Steinar Heggelund

I'm employed in the Norwegian consulting company Opus One AS.
I have 7 years experience with Oracle products, mainly the database.
We are a small company which offers consulting services in design,
implementation and tuning of databases and applications based on Oracle.

My postings represent my opinions and they may be wrong.