Re: Data Migration from Access 2.0 to Oracle 7.3

From: Audrey Fong <Audrey_Fong_at_clarity.com.sg>
Date: 1997/09/22

Hi! Using SQL Loader has its disadvantages. It really depends on what kind of data you have. From my personal experience, I have a Long Text field in Access which contains multi-line text data with carriage returns, tabs etc. When I exported this field from Access, the exported data file displays this field in multi-lines (as any normal text data would appear because of the carriage returns). SQL Loader assumes each line in the exported data file to be one physical record. (A physical record is a line in the exported data file, a logical record is a record in the Oracle database). There are methods to combine multiple physical records into one logical record. However, the latter method will only work if each *field* in the exported data file do not overflow into the next line. In my case, the Long Text field's data overflows into many lines and hence, SQL Loader thinks that either the physical record is not properly terminated (if you export using comma-delimitted option) or SQL Loader thinks the next line is a new record. What I finally did was to write a VB program to connect to Oracle directly (using ODBC) and migrated data directly without passing the data out to any export files. Hope this helps!

Which is the optimum method of migrating data from Access to Oracle server.

  1. SQL Loader
  2. Using Access' export feature.
  3. Other

Thanks