Re: running TKPROF from a Application

From: terryg8 <trg_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/09/21

Stefan Keller wrote:

> i try to use the Oracle-TKPROF trace utillity, for tuning reasons.
> that works well when i run tkprof from sqlplus, but that way i have to
> copy the sql's into sqlplus environment.
>
> now i tried to run tkprof from my Centura application.
> for that i have to set the TRACE-mode to TRUE
> how can i do that?

Hullo,
If you are running Oracle 7.2 or better there is a package available called set_sql_trace_in_session that can be run external to the aplication with the effect of turning on tracing for that applications session - at any point during the session. i.e. you can turn tracing on just before a perceived bottleneck and turn it off after. Very handy for assisting developers in getting at the root of performance problems.

Its in the dbms_session package, spec below

 procedure set_sql_trace_in_session(sid number, serial# number,

	                             sql_trace boolean);

Refer to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmsutil.sql for more details.

Cheers,
Terry Received on Sun Sep 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT