Oracle Primary key and Delphi: How to insert the primary key value automatically ?

From: Ger Otten <gmjotten_at_turnkiek.nl>
Date: 1997/09/21

At the moment I am developing a client/server application with delphi 3 Client/Server and Oracle 7.3.3.
To make the application as fast as possible I want to use numeric primary keys.

Oracle has the possibilty to generate sequence numbers that can be used as the value for the primary key in a table. For instance:

Create sequence order_seq

             start with 1
             increment by 1
             nocylce
             cache 20;

At the moment I insert a new record in a table I can reference the sequence number with NEXTVAL.
For instance:

 Insert into orders (orderno, custno)

           values (order_seq.NEXTVAL, 1032)

Questions:

  1. Is it possible to use Oracle Database triggers to automatically fill in the next sequence number in the primary key field ? If so how can this be achieved ?
  2. If this is not possible I would like to know the following : When I have a table open in a grid open in Delphi and I am in the edit mode. When I insert a record can I then get the next sequence number from Oracle and fill it myself in the table ? How do I do that.
  3. Maybe both are possible: What do you prefer ?

Thank you very much in advance !!

sincerely,

Ger Otten

email: gmjotten_at_worldonline.nl    Received on Sun Sep 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT