Re: UNIX shell command from ORACLE

From: Dan Clamage <clamage_at_mime.dw.lucent.com>
Date: 1997/09/19

I'm not sure you can have Oracle 7.3 launch a program outside of itself. However, you can write a server application (in Pro*C, say) that checks for requests to run an external application. For example, if you use dbms_pipe, a stored procedure could write the app name to the pipe. Then the external server app reads the pipe, gets the app name and launches it.

A stored procedure can call an external C function; the C function might then in turn run the app. Problem with this is the stored procedure doesn't complete until the C function returns. Maybe you could have it spawn another thread and then return.

I kinda like the first solution better because it requires very little overhead from the database server, and it's easily extensible. Make the server app multi-threaded so it can run lots of requested apps (or instances of same) simultaneously.

kestas.sereiva_at_aspentech.com wrote in article <874660482.26474_at_dejanews.com>...