Re: In-case sensitive searches

From: Merle Martell <martell_merle_at_cargill.com>
Date: 1997/09/19

Brian Rasmusson wrote:

> what's the best way to perform an in-case sensitive search? Ofcourse
> SELECT x FROM y WHERE UPPER(z) = UPPER(mystr) is out
> of the question because it does not use the index.

You won't like this technique, but it's what we used to get around the problem.

We created the table with 2 name columns. We populate the second column with a trigger that does an upper on the first column. All name searches go against the upper column, while we always return the mixed case column. The upper is run against the search criteria before it is used in the SQL statement, so it is a straight equals or "like 'JOHN%' " where condition Received on Fri Sep 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT