Re: Using a different file for listener startup then listener.ora?

From: Kendall Willets (TV DBA) <willetsk_at_wellsfargo.com>
Date: 1997/09/19

David Sivick wrote:

> Can this be done?

I don't think so, but I have a suggestion:

put all your listener definitions in one file. With the exception of the default listener ("listener") there shouldn't be much problem.

I'm in an environment where the listeners have distinctive names, so this would work. I'm not sure what happens if you try to start a listener on the wrong machine, but probably the host entry in the address will generate an error.

Another possibility is to symlink listener.ora to a standard local directory and file on each machine, eg /ora/oracle/admin/something.

One interesting side effect of having a universal listener.ora is that one can use lsnrctl to operate on listeners remotely. lsnrctl uses listener.ora to look up the address of each listener, so if it finds a tcp address, it connects to the host and port regardless of whether it's local or not. It also tries each address in turn, so if it fails on the IPC connection it goes for TCP. Of course, "stop" and "start" commands should be used judiciously. Received on Fri Sep 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT