Re: Partial Database Recovery

From: Mark E. Porterfield <portrfld_at_nauticom.net>
Date: 1997/09/19

--------------E9041C470F13BD73FCAEFA9B

masint_at_istar.ca wrote:

> In article <342229de.11605833_at_news.centroin.com.br>,
> lsantos_at_pobox.com,lsantos_at_bancointeratlantico.com.br wrote:
> >
> > Hello all!
> >
> > Is it possible to do a partial tablespace recovery? Let's
> > suppose that one user accidently drop a table. The table are located

> > in tablespace A. Then, I recover from last backup then datafile of
> > tablespace A and recover it until one minute before the drop.
> >
> > I got the information that this is only possible with a FULL
> > tablespace recovery, when I restore ALL datafiles... If I restore
 just
> > one tablespace datafile I can just do FULL recovery.
> >
> > I think this is a bad implementation of recovery, and I really

> > can't believe this limitation is true...
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > --
> > Luis Santos
> > Banco InterAtlântico
>
> With release 8.0.3 and up, you can perform point-in-time tablespace
> recovery from line-mode server manager NOT the Enterprise Manager. I
> have
> no details other that the technical PR I have seen. Ken Jacobs from
> Oracle Corp. said the facility is technically complicated for Oracle
> have implemented, but it should be looked at if and when required.
>
> Michael

Oracle cannot do this (at least previous to Oracle8). I believe that if you are utilizing partial backup and your archive log mode is true (You are using the archive redo logs) you could recover the database (not tablespace for relational integrity reasons) to a particular archive redo log. Of course, you have to know what is in that log and I can't help you there. What I do know is that point-in-time recovery is explicity usefull and CA-Ingres and CA-OpenIngres have been able to do this since Oh about 1987-88 or thereabouts. If Oracle 8 can do this it will be a nice feature. Of course you will likely have to take the hit on using archive logs.

--------------E9041C470F13BD73FCAEFA9B

begin:          vcard
fn:             Mark E. Porterfield
n:              E. Porterfield;Mark
org:            Management Consulting Solutions Inc., A BRC Company
email;internet: portrfld_at_nauticom.net
title:          Sr. Consultant
tel;work:       412.612.7938
tel;fax:        412.779.9199
tel;home:       412.935.5502