Re: Oracle vs SQL Server

From: Jeremy Rickard <Jeremy_at_jbdr.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/09/19

In article <3421E33D.5CF7ECB9_at_erols.com>, Someone <answers_at_erols.com> writes

>Soon I will be engaging a client with a strong investment in and bias
>towards MicroSoft products. This client has multiple, large databases
>that need to work as an integrated system (or at least appear that way
>to the user). Because of my extensive background in ORACLE , I am
>biased towards an ORACLE solution.
>
>Does anyone have or know of solid, unbiased benchmarks comparing SQL
>Server to ORACLE in a number of different configurations or loads? If
>so, I would like to obtain copies. If permissible, I will post all
>feedback I receive to the group with a summary and details.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>

>Steve

Several months ago, Bloor Research published a significant report comparing the scalability (user scaling, CPU scaling, robustness etc.) of SQL Server 6.5 with the soon-to-be-replaced DB2 v2.1 on NT (and also on UNIX). The results were not at all favourable for Microsoft (from either a DBMS or an operating system point of view). If your client intends the DBMS to be used for serious volumes, they would do well to read this report.

Bloor intended to extend the report to include Oracle. If they have done so by now, no doubt the results would be similarly conclusive.

--
Jeremy Rickard