Re: Oracle vs SQL Server

From: Gary England <gengland_at_hiwaay.net>
Date: 1997/09/19

Someone wrote:

> Soon I will be engaging a client with a strong investment in and bias
> towards MicroSoft products. This client has multiple, large databases
> that need to work as an integrated system (or at least appear that way
> to the user). Because of my extensive background in ORACLE , I am
> biased towards an ORACLE solution.
>
> Does anyone have or know of solid, unbiased benchmarks comparing SQL
> Server to ORACLE in a number of different configurations or loads? If
> so, I would like to obtain copies. If permissible, I will post all
> feedback I receive to the group with a summary and details.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Steve

I have had a very bad experience with SQL Server that I have since learned was had by others. SQL Server works fine in the lab or if your updates are limited to one table, but with more than 5 network users and anyone is doing transactions, then those updating SINGLE ROWS get blown off as a deadlock victim if two transactions are pending. I was using SQL Server 6.5 and had to insert a MUTEX to reduce database activity to a single thread at a time for transactions. Performance bummer.

The system is still out there (Installed Christmas 96) and continues to fail when the MUTEX is disabled. If Microsoft has fixed the problem, it has not been distributed in the CD Pack we get monthly.

I used the same tools and techniques in March of this year with ORACLE and had no problems at all.

Just my experience, cannot say it was not something subtle about some SQL Server rule that we violated. We spent a lot of money with Microsoft tech support and never resolved the issue. You may have better luck.

Gary England
My opion only Received on Fri Sep 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT