Re: Zero-fill a droped/truncated table/indexes' blocks??

From: Doug Anderson <doug.anderson_at_NDCorp.com>
Date: 1997/09/18

"Andreas Hess" <ahess_at_truworths.co.za> wrote:

>Hi Michael

>I think you might be looking for something like
>the ALTER TABLE DEALLOCATE UNUSED command.

  No, no, no. I have had the same problem. Even though Oracle has released the extent it doesn't clean up by re-writing nulls or zeros or whatever. The operating-system does its backup and sees a file with a bunch of data in it. But Oracle is no longer using that data.

   I called World-Wide-Support one time and they told me the only way to do it is to recreate the stinkin' datafile. Thanks, but no-thanks.

>As per the SQL Reference manual:

>DEALLOCATE UNUSED

>explicitly deallocate unused space at the end of the table and make the
>freed space available for other segments. You can free only unused space
>above the high-water mark. If KEEP is omitted, all unused space is freed.
>For more information, see the deallocate_clause.

>Hope it helps

>Andreas

>Michael Jessen <Michael.Jessen_at_iName.com> wrote in article
><01bcc3fc$e08c5780$68291ccb_at_internet-4>...
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to 'zero-out' the unused space in a table/index
>> segment thats being truncated or dropped.
>>
>> Why?? A large table is being reorganised into another tablespace, leaving
>> 30Gb hole in one tablespace and another large hole in an index
 tablespace.
>> So our compressed backup (not EBU) will continue to backup this data.
 Since