Zero-fill a droped/truncated table/indexes' blocks??

From: Michael Jessen <Michael.Jessen_at_iName.com>
Date: 1997/09/18

I'm looking for a way to 'zero-out' the unused space in a table/index segment thats being truncated or dropped.

Why?? A large table is being reorganised into another tablespace, leaving a 30Gb hole in one tablespace and another large hole in an index tablespace. So our compressed backup (not EBU) will continue to backup this data. Since it isnt zeroed out, it wont compress really well. Our backup window is tight so i'm looking for ways to reduce backup volumes.

Any suggestions?? So far i could 1) reallocated the released space to a new table and fill this with block-sized rows containing a zeroed column. or 2), use EBU.

--
Michael Jessen