HPUX 10.20 Netgroup (NIS) problem w/ 7.3.2.x

From: <river_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/09/17

We have recently been troubled by an incompatibility with netgroup entries in the /etc/passwd and Oracle's ability to locate it's user id/group in Oracle 7.3.2.x. This was not a problem in earlier versions of Oracle, as we have discovered.

What happens, is Oracle core dumps when starting svrmgrl or sqlplus while at the Unix command prompt. Starting lsnrctl causes HPUX seek errors. None of this shows up in the system log. When we remove the netgroup entries from the /etc/passwd file, all is well.

Has anyone else stumbled upon this problem? Oracle claims they are unaware of any issues, that all Oracle versions (7.1.x thru 7.3.x) process /etc/passwd the same way. We have proven otherwise.