Re: Oracle 7.3.2 Problem with Solaris 2.x

From: Jeff Lowery <jlowery_at_walldata.com>
Date: 1997/09/17

Lange Francois wrote:

> Michael Guthrie wrote:
> >
> > twod_at_not.valid wrote:
> > >
> > > : > I am having a problem installing Oracle 7.3.2. When orainst /m
 is run
> > > : > it
> > > : > causes a Segementation fault.
> > > : > What is the way around this.....
> > >
> > > orainst /c
> > >
> > > I don't use orainst /m as it's always been a bit flakey in my
 experience.

> > > : I'm having a problem also: when orainst.motif executes
 (called from
> > > : orainst script when given the /m option), I get a User Interface

> > > : Failure: Windows System Startup. I've tried running this from
 the CDE,
> > > : OpenWindows, and the command line, and get the same error. I've
 fiddled
> > > : with all the $TERM and $ORACLE_TERM settings I can think of, and
 still
> > > : this err.
> > >
> > > orainst -h gives a bit of info on probable causes etc.
> > >
> > > -- snip --
> > > User Interface Failure: Window System Startup
> > > The most likely cause of this error message is ORAINST
 not being
> > > able to locate the Toolkit 2 terminal resource file.
 ORAINST looks
> > > for the file
> > >
> > > ${ORACLE_TERMINAL}/tk2c${ORACLE_TERM}.res or
> > > ${ORACLE_TERMINAL}/tk2c${TERM}.res
> > >
> > > where ORACLE_TERMINAL and TERM are shell environment
 variables,
> > > when starting up. The ORACLE_TERM variable, if set,
 has precedence
> > > over the TERM variable.
> > > -- snip --
> > >
> > > Check the env vars are set and not being munged in the orainst
 script 'set -xv'
> > > as the first line after the #!/bin/sh will echo what is being
 expanded, etc.

> > > Check that you can start a xterm on the $DISPLAY that you have set
 (ie no
> > > permissions problems due to starting X as one user and another
 user trying
> > > to start apps on it).
> > >
> > > Are you using an xterm or a dtterm - try the other.
> > >
> > > Other than that 'orainst /c'.
> > >
> > > IAP
> > >
> > > --
> > > In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From'
 address.
> > > My correct email address can be determined by replacing
 'not.valid' with with
> > > 'value.net'
> >
> > Try putting $ORACLE_HOME/lib at the start of your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > environment variable. If this is a first installation then you'll
 have
> > to point it at the installation CD/tape lib directory. This has
 worked
> > for me on Solaris 2.X.
> > Also make sure $DISPLAY is set correctly, something like
> > 199.228.187.50:0.0 where 199.228.187.50 is your IP address.
> >
> > Good luck.
> Hi,
> That is a normale bug use the Orainst version 7.3.2.3 or even later
> 7.3.3 or used orainst /c. We had speak about that 3 week ago.
> Regrads Francois.

 My problem turned out to be the 800x600 res, 24-bit color screen settings I had chosen during the Solaris install. When I went to 1024x768 and 8-bit, orainst /m worked. Probably some bad term settings. BTW: orainst /c only allowed me to install the Unixware version of Oracle, not the Solaris product (even though the .prd file was in the same directory as the Unixware).

P.S. Can someone tell me the default login/password for Enterprise Manager? I can't get past the login screen (except scott/tiger works, but has no admin priviledges). Received on Wed Sep 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT