Re: NFS Mounting Oracle Software....Any known problems

From: Someone <answers_at_erols.com>
Date: 1997/09/16

David Sivick wrote:

> We are thinking about NFS mounting our Oracle software from single
> source.
> We would have a secondary server just in case the first machine went
> belly
> up.
>
> Does anyone, our has anyone, seen any problems with doing this.
>
> I would like to centralize as many things a possible, but should I
> change
> the TNS_ADMIN to allow local admin of theses files?
>
> Thanks,
> David

I can tell you what I have experienced first hand. First, Oracle expressly states they do not support a configuration involving NFS mounting of files. Second, I know from experience you cannot NFS mount data files and expect to run without period prolems (ie instance crashes, hanging, or backup/integrity corruption). If you are only referring to executables that load into the client over the network, it may work but you are taking your chances. Received on Tue Sep 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT