Stored Procedures and Result Setst

From: <eric.nordstrom_at_fmr.com>
Date: 1997/09/15

Hello all,

I am trying to promote the conversion of a number of Sybase applications to Oracle. All the applications have front ends that call Sybase stored procedures and receive result sets. A Sybase stored procedure can return a result set simply by executing a select statement. The front ends are written in various languages including Lotus Notes, Powerbuilder, and Visual Basic. The front ends make ODBC connections to Sybase, execute the stored procedures, and receive a result sets. Oracle apparently requires the use of cursor variables or dbms_output.put_line statements to return result sets. I need to write Oracle stored procedures that will return a result sets to each of these front ends without any front end modification other than changing the ODBC data source. Will put_line statements solve my problem? Has anybody else converted Sybase stored procedures to Oracle and encountered this problem?

TIA,
Eric Nordstrom
Fidelity Investments
eric.nordstrom_at_fmr.com